Friday, January 8, 2010

Gilligan's Tour

Staying home is an amazing gift! But there are some challenges that come along with it. Living in a fairly small town with limited options for entertainment and being on a one income budget can be difficult at times. These challenges are also a wonderful help for me to be creative with our time and money and for my kids to learn to appreciate the littlest things. ENTER: our two dollar tour of the mall. {sing it with me.......a two dollar tour, a two dollar tour......}

This is pretty much a weekly event in our home, and when we do it, my kids think their MomBE hung the moon! I am such a proud Mama to see my kids take joy in such small things.

A break down of our tour:

1) the escalator at JCPenney free
2) 10 pennies a piece to put on the "coin rollercoaster" 0.20
3) a visit to Tilt the arcade where they have no idea it takes $ to play the games:) free
4) a walk around the glow in the dark mini golf track pointing out the way they glow in the dark and watching other kids play golf, which they know we will do when they get a bit older free
5) small ice waters at the cookie company 0.52
6) If we are a good little boy and good little girl, a small scoop of mini gummies for E and sixlets for B at the candy store {roughly $2}

This takes a little over an hour, and the kids have a great time! If the budget allows, we get a 12 pack of chicken nuggets on our way out the door. We typically go when the mall opens at 10am and eat lunch when we get home. By that time, it is almost nap time and the kids are tuckered out. If the mall is not busy and I am in a brave mood, I do let them get out of the stroller and run around me a bit { I use the visit to the candy store at the end to bribe them to get back in the stroller or listen to me if needed}


2 comments:

Kimmy said...

I just love this! Looking at that picture I see a little Allison and a little Sam! You have a gorgeous family!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Hey girl! I just wanted to let you know that you are the winner of the pillow giveaway on my blog. Yeah!!

If you want to email me I'll send you all of the details! mrscresswell at hotmail dot com