Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Little Time Alone NEVER Hurt Anyone

I remember when I was school aged, I had many friends who were completely unwilling to go anywhere alone. The joke about the girls going in groups to the restrooms is around for a reason. Now, I know times have changed, and there are sadly too many things to mention that young kids can't do alone for safety reasons. But, with safety to always be considered, I do have a hope for my daughter (and son, although this seems less of an issue with boys). 

I want my daughter to always have the ability to find joy in her time alone. I want her to be comfortable and confident enough in who she is and how she chooses her time to be spent. To know that her mind, her body, her spirit, her heart, are MORE than enough to find happiness. 

This is not to say that I want her to never know the power of others in her life (family, friends...gulp....boys) No! I just want her to recognize the necessary act of ALONE. There is a peace, a calm, a satisfaction to understanding that it is ok to go to the movies, out to dinner, shopping, for a drive, to the library, for a walk, etc.......on your own. 

This came to mind today when for a bit of time, E and I were together, just the two of us. This happens so rarely these days. It is especially true with E, who has basically had B for her wingman her entire life. I was reminded of the importance of the Dad-O and I each taking time to spend with the individual child whenever we can. They are so different when they are not sharing the spotlight with one another. Both of them.....SO ALIVE when all the attention is on them. (see picture above for illustration of SO ALIVE)

I adore you B and E
together
and on your own
 I want you both to know 
who you are 
in this moment
is all YOU ever need




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! That picture of E is precious!!

I agree that time alone is important. Necessary actually to remain sane! :D

Love you!