Monday, September 5, 2011

today

We have been working now since August 1st
and the kids have been in school since the 18th
and I would be lying if I said it has been an easy transition.
The truth is, I found my calling when I became a mommy
and teaching was not something I had planned on returning to.
But, it is getting easier in some ways.....each day.
And the difficult stuff I am convinced we will power through.
As we always manage to do.
And today, we were a family.
I was a "stay at home mom" again.
I found myself wondering if I was ever grateful enough for the gift I was given of five years home with my kids. Because in the thick of it, the grass is often greener on the other side. 
Today, I wondered,  "Did I soak them in the way I did today, when I had them everyday all day?"
"Was I as thankful and present in my time with them?"
The answer....
Probably not.
Today, I smelled their skin, held on longer than a normal hug should, and went on spontaneous adventures while Dad-O was gone. Today, I dried her hair as she sat in my lap and studied her sweet curves and folds, aching at the thought of a day she won't need my help with her locks, and struggle to embrace her body in a way that allows for naked blow drying with reckless abandon. 


Today, I was there when he got out all his tools and worked on hammering stuff, with such intent that he hammered his left thumb something awful, and I was there to nurse his wound, and praise him for being such a big boy. Today we read book after book, played chutes and ladders and hi ho cherry o too many times to count. 


Today, I felt it. I was grateful for my time with them. I drank it in. 

1 comment:

M.O.T.B said...

You were always an amazing SAHM. But I do understand soaking it in when you have them!